Are you confused about ObamaCare and the many different 2014 deadlines? There is a deadline to avoid paying a tax penalty (shared responsibility payment) and deadlines throughout 2014 that happen each month. Here is the list:
- January 10, 2014 – deadline extended to pay first month’s premium
- January 15, 2014 – enroll by this date to get coverage that starts February 1
- 1/16 through 2/15 – enroll to get coverage that starts March 1
- 2/16 through 3/15 – enroll to get coverage that starts April 1
- 3/16 through 3/31 – enroll to get coverage that starts May 1
- March 31, 2014 – deadline to enroll in Obamacare to avoid tax penalties
- You can enroll in ObamaCare every month after 3/31/2014 but unless you qualify for an exemption, you will have to pay the tax penalty of $95 or 1% of your income (whichever is greater)
- 11/15 through 12/7 – open enrollment period for 2015 ObamaCare plans that start on 1/1/2015
That is the list of 2014 ObamaCare deadlines that you need to know about if you are trying to get health insurance this year.
The key deadline is the March 31, 2014 date that is the cutoff for getting insurance and not having to pay the IRS fine. The Affordable Care act calls it a “responsibility payment” but it is really a tax penalty that is added on to your tax bill by the Internal Revenue Service. Each year that penalty amount will be raised in an effort to coerce people into getting health insurance.